WINE now, WHITEN later....
Dental Babes, we’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, the only thing we love more than teeth is wine. Let’s be real – it’s there for us after a long day of studying, there for us after a long day of cleaning teeth, it’s there for us when our boyfriends are being jerks and there for us when we just want to have some fun. Maybe a few years ago, we slapped the bag of a nice, cheap white wine (or maybe you still do - no judgements, Dental Babes.) But now that we’re ‘maturing,’ our taste buds are too! I think we can speak for plenty of 20 something’s when we say we enjoy a nice glass of red, but it’s no secret that it stains our other loves…our teeth!
We feel your pain and we want to help you out! We’ve done our research (& yes, that means more than just tasting) and we’ve got some tips for you!
- Brush and floss BEFORE going out when you know you’ll be enjoying red wine. ‘’Wine teeth” is a result of the purpley-red wine dying your plaque so, getting rid of it before the vino gets to it is KEY to keep your pearly whites white while you’re sippin on dat Merlot.
- Exfoliate dem lipppps. Nope, that’s not really a toothy-tip, but face it – whatever is on your lips draws attention to your teeth. It’s no secret that red wine dyes the dead skin on your lips, so keep ‘em soft & smooth to avoid the purple-scheme, dry lips you definitely don’t want.
- USE A STRAW. Ok, you might look a little less than sophisticated, but it will allow the red wine to surpass your teeth to avoid staining.
- Any smart gal knows to drink a glass of water for every cocktail she has, this helps you be not-so-hungover. Swap the water for some soda water and swish it around before swallowing. The bubbles will act as an exfoliation and break down the stained plaque.
- Avoid switching from white to red. White wine is more acidic which breaks down tooth enamel. Drinking a few glasses of it then switching over to red is a no-no, as the broken down enamel will absorb the color of the red wine.
- Drink red wine so much that you need a quick fix like, uh, every night? Behold: WINE WIPES. They’re all natural, individually packaged wipes that quickly remove the color on your wine teeth. You can buy them on Amazon and thank us later!
- EMERGENCY ONLY: Picture this, you’re getting ready for a first date and decide, to ease the nerves, you’re going to head to happy hour with your Dental Bestie. Welllllp, 2 bottles of red wine later, it’s time to leave for your date and your teeth are purple. Ask the bartender for a lemon or lime and bite into it for about ten seconds, give it a quick scrub against your teeth and then chug some water. The acidity in the lemon/lime will break down the purple color. *DISCLAIMER: this is for emergency situations only! Obvi you know that the high acidity in lemons/limes is BAD BAD BAD for your teeth so use this trick very, very rarely.
Keep sippin’ on that Pinot Nior, Dental Babes! && use these tips to protect those precious, pearly whites. Cheers!!!
comment below with your tips and tricks!